He’s Always Been My Son: A Mother’s Story about Raising Her Transgender Son, Janna Barkin
This inspiring and moving story, told from the heart of an extraordinary family, recounts the emotional and uplifting journey of raising a transgender son.
Crossing, Deirdre McCloskey
Crossing is the story of Deirdre McCloskey (formerly Donald), once a golden boy of conservative economics and a child of 1950s and 1960s privilege, and her dramatic and poignant journey to becoming a woman.
Shattering Masks, Laura Beth Taylor
Who am I? It’s a simple question. Yet most of Laura Beth Taylor’s life, the answer was incredibly elusive. Shattering Masks is the story of how Taylor came to reconcile her faith in God with living a genuine, authentic life.
Raising Ryland: Our Story of Parenting a Transgender Child with No Strings Attached, Hillary Whittington
a transparent and authentic telling of one mother’s first-hand account of her emotional choice to embrace her transgender child.
I Promised Not To Tell, Cheryl B. Evans
a deeply personal parenting memoir about raising a transgender child. A genuine, heartfelt and unforgettable LGBT memoir not be missed.
The Other Boy, M.G. Hennessy
A beautifully heartfelt story about one boy’s journey toward acceptance. A book that Jill Soloway, the award-winning creator of Transparent, called a terrific read for all ages and Ami Polonsky, author of Gracefully Grayson, called an emotionally complex and achingly real read.
Transparently: Behind the Scenes of a Good Life, Lisa Salazar
It wasn’t always clear to Santiago Salazar that somewhere inside him was a Lisa that would someday—a long time into the future—show herself to the world. A must read for anyone who struggles to understand their own gender identity, or a friend’s or loved one’s—especially when faith is central in their life. Transparently is an engaging story, told by a brave woman who made the call to accept what she knew she was, and had always been.
Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family, Amy Ellis Nut
an inspiring true story of a transgender girl, her identical twin brother, and an ordinary American family’s extraordinary journey to understand, nurture, and celebrate the uniqueness in us all.
This Is My Body, Christina Beardsley
This Is My Body offers a grounded reflection on people’s experience of gender dissonance that involves negotiating the boundaries between one’s identity and religious faith, as well as a review of the most up-to-date theological, cultural and scientific literature.
She’s Not There, A Life in Two Genders, Jennifer Finney Boylan – the story of a person changing genders, the story of a person bearing and finally revealing a complex secret
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves, Laura Erickson-Schroth
Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is a revolutionary resource—a comprehensive, reader-friendly guide for transgender people, with each chapter written by transgender or genderqueer authors.
The Transgender Child, Stephanie A. Brill and Rachel Pepper
Through extensive research and interviews, this comprehensive first-of-its-kind guidebook explores the unique challenges that thousands of families face every day raising their children in every city and state.
The Transgender Teen, Stephanie A. Brill
This book is the perfect follow up to The Transgender Child. It gently guides readers through the steep learning curve that often comes with supporting a transgender or non-binary teenager through their gender journey and helping them navigate their daily lives. Thoughtful and thorough, this book is a certainly a must read for parents and professionals.
Transforming: The Bible and the Life of Transgender Christians – provides access into an underrepresented and misunderstood community and will change the way readers think about transgender people, faith, and the future of Christianity. By introducing transgender issues and language and providing stories of both biblical characters and real-life narratives from transgender Christians living today, Hartke helps readers visualize a more inclusive Christianity, equipping them with the confidence and tools to change both the church and the world.
The Picture Wall: One Woman’s Story of Being (His) (Her) Their Mother by C. A. Gibbs – an intimate and emotional journey as Gibbs comes to terms with what it really means to let go as a child grows up to live their own authentic life, on their own terms.
A List of Trans books and films – click the link for a list of books and films
Resources for Transgender People in Crisis
Transgender people in crisis should contact the following resources:
- The Trevor Project‘s 24/7/365 Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) or TrevorChat, their online instant messaging option, or TrevorText, a text-based support option
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860
- Do you live outside the United States? If so, check out The Trevor Project’s list of international resources here.
Transgender Organizations & Centers
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) (advocacy)
- The International Center for Transgender Care (surgical & non surgical care)
- Camp Lost Boys (camp for men of trans experience)
- Transgender Law Center (TLC) (legal services and advocacy)
- Gender Proud (advocacy)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) (legal services)
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) (legal services)
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) (advocacy)
- Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC) (advocacy)
- Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) (advocacy)
- Black Trans Advocacy (advocacy)
- Trans Latina Coalition (advocacy)
- Gender Spectrum (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Gender Diversity (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Trans Youth Equality Federation (support for families and trans youth)
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) (support for families and trans youth)
- TransTech Social Enterprises (economic empowerment)
- SPART*A (advocacy for trans military service members)
- Transgender American Veterans Association (advocacy for trans veterans)
- TransAthlete.com (info about trans athletes)
- TransLife Center at Chicago House (support services)
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
- GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program (media advocacy)
- Freedom for All Americans (policy and legislative advocacy)
- PFLAG Our Trans Loved Ones (support for families of people who are trans)
- PFLAG Transgender Resources (resources for trans people and their families)
- PFLAG’s Transgender Ally campaign (advocacy)
- COLAGE Kids of Trans Community (support for kids of trans parents)
- The Task Force’s Transgender Civil Rights Project (advocacy)
- HRC’s transgender resources (advocacy)
- Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center (support services)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) (legal services)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) Transgender Rights Project (legal services)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights – Transgender Law (legal services)
- L.A. LGBT Center’s Transgender Economic Empowerment Project (economic empowerment)
- SF Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative (economic empowerment)
- TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project (advocacy)
Individual Links, Posts and Articles
Seven Things I’m Learning about Transgender Persons – Mark Wingfield
How Science is Helping us Understand Gender – Robin Marantz Henig (National Geographic)
Science Just Proved that Being Transgender is Not a Phase – Julie Zellinger
Trans In the South – A Guide to Resources and Services for Trans people who live in the south.
What to do when your child says “I’m Transgender” – One page parent guide with important first steps. Easy to access, easy to share, easy to comprehend.
Our Trans Loved Ones – booklet from PFLAG
2014-guide to being a trans ally – PFLAG guide to being a trans ally
Trans 101 – outline that can be used for a presentation
What does the scholarly research say about the effect of gender transition on transgender well-being? – a study from Cornell University
This is what trans looks like – transgender men and women share stories
Psychological Science Article – A study with 32 transgender children, ages 5 to 12, indicates that the gender identity of these children is deeply held and is not the result of confusion about gender identity or pretense.
Creating Gender Inclusive School Culture – includes Gender Inclusive Language and resources
The Baptist Pastor and His Transgender Friends – (Mark Wingfield TEDxCharlottesville)
Go here for links to other types of resources.